Monday, March 12, 2012

A little more on frameworks

First of all, I got feedback from two trusted colleagues that doing this daily might be a bit much.  We'll see.  I got the frequency suggestion from someone who writes a very successful blog on similar subjects.  If it becomes too much of a burden to me or I don't have anything interesting to say, I'll do it less frequently.

Second, I don't want to leave the impression that I think frameworks are THE answer to effective leader development. I'd suggest they are "necessary but not sufficient".  I do think they need to be standard across the enterprise.  You cannot deliberately build leader capability over time if different business units or countries or regions have their own.  I'd also suggest that a systemic approach to leader development includes not only competence frameworks, attributes and behaviors, but also a process to identify leadership potential, a deployment and succession planning process that provides
on-the-job development opportunities, a performance appraisal process that includes an assessment of leader behaviors,  and portfolio of programmatic interventions at key career transition points.

My final point about leadership frameworks is they all must contain values.  Things like honesty, integrity, respect for people, ethical business practices...all of these attributes and behaviors lead to TRUST.  At a really simple level, people will follow leaders they trust....and they won't follow leaders they don't trust no matter what other skills and capabilities they may have.

No comments:

Post a Comment